Leading Therapists in Chicago for Kids, Teens & Adolescents
Child, Adolescent and Teen Learning and Behavior Issues
For over 30 years, the experienced team at Integrative Psychotherapy Associates has been helping children, teenagers, and their families navigate the turbulent waters of learning and behavioral issues. We understand that having a child or teenager who is struggling can be overwhelming. Our team of dedicated professionals provides compassionate, individualized care that helps to assess the root causes of behavioral problems in order to create a tailored plan for success. We provide invaluable information on how to support children with learning challenges, and can refer you to many auxiliary professionals such as tutors and occupational therapists
We offer where children can explore their feelings, build self-esteem, and learn coping strategies for managing their difficulties, as well as where families can gain insight into their child's behavior and work together to create a supportive environment.
If your child is struggling, don't hesitate to reach out to us. As the longest-standing mental health group practice in the Tri-Village area, we have a long history of supporting kids and families and are committed to providing compassionate care to those in our community.
Child & Teenage Behavior Management from a Therapist Near Me
Counseling for Child Behavior & Learning Issues
Behavior and learning issues encompass a wide range of conditions that can affect a child's academic performance, social interactions, and overall development. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): This condition is characterized by persistent patterns of inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. Children with ADHD may have trouble focusing on tasks, following instructions, or sitting still.
- Learning Disorders: These include conditions like dyslexia (difficulty with reading), dyscalculia (difficulty with math), and dysgraphia (difficulty with writing). Children with learning disorders may struggle with schoolwork and fall behind their peers academically.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): ASD is a developmental disorder that affects communication and behavior. Children with ASD may have difficulty with social interactions, repetitive behaviors, and may be overly sensitive to certain sensory experiences.
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD): Children with ODD display a frequent and persistent pattern of anger, irritability, arguing, defiance, or vindictiveness toward authority figures.
- Anxiety Disorders: This includes conditions like generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and social anxiety disorder. Children with these disorders experience excessive fear or worry that can interfere with their daily activities.
- Depression: Depression in children and adolescents can manifest as persistent feelings of sadness, loss of interest in activities they once enjoyed, changes in appetite or sleep, and difficulty concentrating.
- Conduct Disorder: This is a serious behavioral and emotional disorder that can occur in children and teens. A child with this disorder may display a pattern of disruptive and violent behavior and have difficulties following rules.
It's important to note that these conditions are not the result of "bad parenting" or a child's "bad attitude," They are real, complex disorders that require professional intervention and support. If you suspect your child or teenager may be struggling with a learning or behavior issue, Integrative Psychotherapy Associates can provide the experienced care and support you need.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is my child's behavior normal or indicative of a behavioral disorder?
The best way to determine whether a child's behavior is normal or indicative of an underlying disorder is to have them assessed by an experienced mental health professional. At Integrative Psychotherapy Associates, our team can help identify any underlying issues or causes of behavioral problems your child may be experiencing and help create a treatment plan.
How should I handle my child's aggressive behavior?
Dealing with aggressive behavior in children can be overwhelming and difficult. It's important to remember that the key is to remain calm and respond in a consistent, age-appropriate manner. At Integrative Psychotherapy Associates, we can provide guidance and support to help you navigate this challenging situation. We can also provide your child with the tools they need to better manage their emotions and replace aggressive behaviors with more effective coping strategies.
What can I do if my child is struggling in school?
If your child is struggling academically, it's important to ensure they are receiving the support they need. Speak with their teacher or school counselor about any issues they may be having and ensure they are receiving the appropriate accommodations. Additionally, our team at Integrative Psychotherapy Associates can provide assessment, guidance, and support to help your child manage their learning issues more effectively.
How can I get my child or teen started with a therapist in Chicago?
Getting started is easy! You can call our office, request an appointment, or pick a time for a free 15-minute consultation with one of our intake specialists. From there, we'll help you select a time for your child to come in and meet with one of our therapists. We look forward to helping your child on their journey toward a healthier, happier future!